Jaundice is the yellow discoloration of the skin. The white part of eyes also becomes yellow. This is a symptom and can occur with other diseases as well. This happens when the level of bilirubin increases in the blood. When there is an increase in the level of bilirubin in the blood, it gives yellow colour to the skin. There are different types of jaundice. The main types of jaundice are haemolytic jaundice, hepatocellular and obstructive jaundice. In haemolytic jaundice, red blood cells start breaking at a quick pace. In hepatocellular jaundice, there is some disease of the liver that leads to jaundice. In obstructive jaundice, there is some blockage in the transport of bile from the liver to the gall bladder and small intestines. When the colour of the skin becomes yellow, it is also termed as yellow jaundice.
Buy Yoga DVD for Peeliya Hepatitis(Jaundice)
|1 DVD, Trackable Shipping Free||$23.90||Free, Trackable|
|1 DVD , Reg. Shipping Free||$15.00||Free, Untrackable|
Symptoms of jaundice
The most important symptom in all types of jaundice is yellow discoloration of the skin and white of the eyes. The facial skin also becomes yellow in appearance. It may spread to the other parts of the body. Some of the important symptoms of jaundice are:
- There is great tiredness all over the body. A person may feel weak and tired all through the day.
- Itching may occur all over the body.
- A person may have loss of appetite. There is no desire to eat.
- Due to decreased appetite, there is loss of weight.
- There is pain on the right side of the abdomen due to blockage of the bile duct.
- Nausea and vomiting may occur due to gastric disturbance.
- The colour of the stool also changes. Stool becomes pale coloured.
- Fever may be present due to some infection in the blood.
- The colour of the urine becomes dark yellow.
Jaundice can also develop in new born babies soon after the birth. There is yellow colour of the skin in babies. Sometimes it is not diagnosed early. Generally, tests for jaundice are done three days after the birth. A baby may look yellow and there is persistent crying and poor feeding in babies who suffer from jaundice.
Causes of jaundice
When there is imbalance of the bilirubin levels in the blood, it may result in jaundice. Some of the important causes of jaundice are:
- Inflammation of the liver: When there is any inflammation in the liver, it may cause jaundice due to improper circulation of bilirubin.
- Any inflammation of the bile duct can also produce jaundice. Bile duct is a tube through which bile passes. Any obstruction of the bile duct can also cause yellow jaundice.
- When there is an increased breakdown of the red blood cells, it may cause increased production of the bilirubin that may produce symptoms of jaundice.
- Presence of stones in the gall bladder can also produce jaundice. It causes accumulation of bile in the liver.
Home remedies for jaundice
Jaundice is a disorder and it can easily be treated at home. Home remedies for jaundice are very useful. Home remedies are easily available and may be taken regularly to get rid of the symptoms of jaundice. Home remedies help in natural jaundice treatment. Some useful and effective home remedies for jaundice are:
- Take some fresh radish leaves and extract the juice. Drink this juice everyday to get rid of abdominal discomfort. It also helps to increase appetite.
- Take some tomatoes and take out juice. Add a pinch of pepper and drink it in the morning. It helps to improve the functioning of the liver.
- Take 5-6 almonds and soak them in water and keep it overnight. In the morning, peel the skin of the almonds and grind them to make a paste. Consume this paste everyday in the morning to increase the functioning of the liver cells.
- Take one glass of sugarcane juice and put one teaspoon of lemon juice. Drink this two or three time in a day. It is an excellent home remedy for the treatment of jaundice at home.
- Take a glass of water and add one or two teaspoon of lemon juice in it. Drink this two or three time in a day. It helps in boosting up the health of the liver cells.
- Take a glass of warm water and one a pinch of turmeric powder. Drink this every day. Turmeric is the best remedy to combat any type of infection in the body. It is a well know home remedy for infection and inflammation in any part of the body.
- Take some fresh papaya leaves and grind them to make a paste. Add one teaspoon of honey to this paste and eat it every day to restore the normal functioning of the liver cells.
- Take a small piece of ginger and extract its juice. Add one teaspoon of lime juice and mint juice and drink it daily to get rid of yellow jaundice.
- Take half a cup of butter milk and add a pinch of roasted cumin seeds powder to it. Drink it every day. It helps to improve the digestion and is also a useful remedy for liver.
- Amla is also a wonderful home remedy for the treatment of jaundice at home. You can consume half a teaspoon of amla powder with a glass of warm water every day to improve the health of the liver.
- Take one ripe banana and mash it. Add one teaspoon of honey to it. It is an excellent home remedy for jaundice.
Prevention of jaundice
People suffering from jaundice should take proper diet and adequate diet to get rid of the symptoms of jaundice. Some important tips for the prevention of jaundice are:
- One should drink more water. Water helps in detoxification of the blood and helps to remove the excess bilirubin from the body.
- One should eat a light diet. One can include rice, porridge, fruit juices, yoghurt in diet to improve the health of the liver. One should avoid eating heavy and fried foods. Foods containing artificial chemicals should be avoided. Processed foods should also be avoided.
- One should use olive oil for cooking. It is good for recovery from jaundice.