What is Tuberculosis?
Tuberculosis is a lung infection. It is mainly caused by bacteria. It can also spread to the other organs in the body. People of all ages can suffer from tuberculosis. One should know about tuberculosis facts to get the right treatment for the disease. It is important to contact a health care provider to get the right treatment.
Causes of Tuberculosis
The most important cause of TB is bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It is an air borne infection. You can get infected from breathing in air droplets that are laden with traits of bacterial infection. It generally occurs when you remain in the company of an infected person.
- The disease may remain inactive or in the dormant stage for many years but it can get active when your immune system becomes low or weak.
- People who are at high risk of developing TB are.
- Infants, elderly and people with weak immune system are more prone to suffer from this lung infection.
- People who remain around the infected people are at a greater risk of developing the infection.
- Visiting crowded places or living under unhygienic conditions also increases the risk of TB.
- Poor nutrition is also a cause of TB in people with lower socio economic group.
- Difficulty in breathing while walking, talking or any other physical activity
- Pain in the chest
- Cough is present with loose mucus. It may be green or yellow in color. In some people, the color of the mucus may be white
- In more severe cases, patient also coughs up blood
- Fatigue and weakness in the whole body is present
- Sweating is increased especially during night
- Fever and weight loss may occur
- Wheezing of the chest is also present
- Regular skin test should be done in high risk people. People with a negative skin test should have a follow up after a few days.
- Disinfectants should be used to clean up the environment.
- Surroundings should be kept clean by throwing away the garbage properly.
- One should avoid visiting crowded places. People who are high risk should wear a mask while visiting crowded places.
- One should eat a well balanced diet to boost up immune system. A healthy and nutritional diet helps to supply proper nutrients to the body and raise disease fighting agents in the body.
- Avoid cigarette smoking and alcohol drinking as it increases the risk of infection and produce weak immune system.
- Green tea is a natural home remedy to boost up immune system. Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants and prevents your body from harmful disease causing organisms.
Signs and symptoms of TB
In the early stage of TB, patient may not experience any symptoms. Signs and symptoms of TB may occur in an advanced stage. Common signs and symptoms of TB are:
Tuberculosis is preventable. People who are continuously exposed to the infected people can also prevent TB.